Monday, 31 March 2014

Sniffle Break

I am ill. Full of ill. Ugh

I've had a sore throat for the best part of a week and last night it suddenly decided on making a career change in a big way*: cue all of the aches, pains and sneezes.

So having traveled 50-odd miles with a very heavy suitcase (and no lifts), I'm allowing myself a rare night off to use for reading blogs, watching Netflix, and generally feeling sorry for myself. 

Otherwise, it's (hopefully!) back to the grindstone tomorrow. I have a presentation to give on Wednesday so there's a dry run and inevitable rewrite on the books tomorrow. And after a week off due to injury, I'm itching to get back to the gym now that I can walk without crying - although this new cold, combined with a vested interest in not tearing my foot open again, means I'll probably just stick to the bike tomorrow rather than jumping straight back onto the treadmill.

Wednesday is, as I said, the presentation. But it's also the last regular lecture day of my PhD. I have a one-off week of classes to attend at the end of Easter, but otherwise I'll be going onto a less structured timetable, basically centring around meetings with my supervisors and cohort days. So I'll have more time to dedicate to my thesis (read: to sit in my office looking vaguely alarmed at the sheer enormity of it all), and - as Sam pointed out - I'll be free to come to Yorkshire on Wednesday evenings. Which might not seem all that amazing (I usually go down on Thursday mornings, so I'm not gaining too much time) but it has been SO LONG since I've been to the cinema!

After that are a few Rock Soc things for which I intend to avoid cider like the plague (10 days later I still feel hungover...), followed by Sam arriving a week tomorrow to visit Manchester during the week for the first time since January. And more than that: I'm working my butt off from tomorrow to try and get my first segment draft finished so that I can guiltlessly buy and download this great epic of our time for me and Sam to enjoy when he gets here.


Majestic. 

*NB: My knowledge of microbiology and pathology is somewhat limited; this might not actually be what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment