Friday, 15 August 2014

It Doesn't Have To Be Perfect

I've been abusing a photo app. Sorry.

Big desks are important. Their importance cannot be understated. I cannot work well without a big desk.

Only... that's bullshit. 

I wrote the best piece of work in my life (and in the history of my course) on a double bed covered in textbooks and papers (I had a very small desk at the time). 

Having a designated workspace is important - and I do agree with this - but that doesn't change the fact that I still wrote those life-changing 11,952 words sat on the same bed where I also slept, sat with friends while we gossiped, and caught up with Coronation Street over lunch when I'd missed it the night before. 

Being emotionally "all there" is important. And again, I can't pretend that it isn't, but I wrote that dissertation while going through a break up and battling depression. I wrote my most recent literature review draft (which both of my supervisors liked) while acting like a professional misery-guts earlier in the year.



I often get in my own head about stuff like hiking equipment: do I have the right trousers? Is my shirt made of decent enough material? Can't forget my amazing hiking boots! - Now while the boots one IS very important (scree kills), and while it's nice to walk in comfort and without feeling too soggy (hill-walking newbies: avoid jeans - especially if it might rain!), the fact of the matter still remains...

The first hill I ever wandered up? 
I wore a random T-shirt, a hoody with holes in, black skinny jeans, and a pair of zip-up (i.e. not waterproof) military-style boots from Internacionale which had no tread

And I still made it up and down with no real issues beyond getting scared of crossing the stream (I cannot handle streams). While that may have had something to do with the fact I was being looked after by someone experienced at this sort of thing, and while I wouldn't do that again (I like being dry. And alive.), nonetheless - I walked up the highest hill in the Peak District in inappropriate kit and I still got to the top.

I wrote my MA dissertation without an adequate desk, designated workspace, or cheerful, can-do attitude - and I still got the best grade ever.

It doesn't have to be perfect. Things don't have to be just so.

Now, I'm happy, I have a massive desk, and my own study. And I'm sat here writing this blog post when I'm meant to be working on my thesis.

It's not about desks, designated spaces, proper kit*, or even really about happiness - it's about Just Getting On With It.

Now with that in mind, I'd better Just Get On With this chapter.

XO

*Ok, I will concede that that one is actually more than a little important. DO NOT CLIMB A PROPER HILL WITHOUT GOOD KIT (though I'll concede you can get away with fell running shoes rather than boots, but still: always err on the side of caution). Respect the mountain. Hills kill. Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment