Friday, 23 January 2015

Judging January: Themed Months?




So there's this book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Apparently it's been around for a while, but I only actually picked up a copy towards the end of last year when I heard a few positive mumblings about it from the odd blog.

I really rather enjoyed reading it, so much so that I'm more than half-way through the second re-read at the moment.

In the book, Gretchen uses the practical knowledge and applicable theory that she's picked up from researching happiness (from writings by everyone from Aristotle to French nuns, to modern-day scientific studies) to create actionable resolutions which she monitored daily. Each month she added new resolutions to those already being monitored along a particular theme - so February was about strengthening her relationship with her husband (resolutions included "fight right", "quit nagging", and "give proofs of love") and September was focused on pursuing her passion for writing ("write a novel", "make time", "master a new technology"). You get the idea.

So now - probably completely missing the point - I'm suddenly very much into the idea of giving themes to months.

This month has been a bit of a wash-out thanks to everyone being poorly at once, moments of blind panic, and a whole new, never previously encountered level of stress, so I'm going for a slightly inhuman attempt to start Graft January from next week, then roll it into Fitness February pretty much right off the bat. Which may kill me. We'll see.



So here are the themes I'm working with so far...

Graft January
  • Develop something akin to a routine
  • Get Draft 2 of my first paper written
  • Get into the habit of working every day
  • Sort out the study and keep it nice

Fitness February

  • Join the local gym
  • Start (and stick to) Couch to 5k
  • Keep a food diary
  • Drink one bottle of water a day

Marching March
  • Go to the Peaks for a proper walk at least three times this month
  • (If new gym has a summit trainer, use it every day)
  • If you can (and it won't make you late), then walk it
  • Learn the basics of navigation

That's it for now - I'm toying with the idea of "Adventure April" (I'm so good at names) but I don't know how that would really work navigation-wise... Plus I think I'm getting way to into this alliteration thing. I suppose I'll see closer to the time what changes I have in mind closer to the time.

XO

      No comments:

      Post a Comment